Sunday, August 1, 2010

"Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do..."

Ever hear the one about the guy in Denmark who wrote a blog, but then disappeared for a while and didn't tell anybody? No?? Hmm, I could've sworn that one was big with the kids today. Well, to be honest, I don't think think the punchline is very funny and as the immortal words of Ricky Ricardo ring louder than ever in this post's title, I do, indeed, 'got some 'splainin' to do.'

Unless you are a member of my immediate family or one of my teammates here in Aarhus (as approximately ninety-five percent of this blog's readers are), you have probably been feeling pretty left out over the last month or so. I done gone and didn't say nothing. Some of you out there might still be waiting for the extended recap of our last game on June 26th. Yikes. I've been a vewy bad bloggah. I suppose not even a stylized typing of Elmer Fudd's voice is going to get me out of this one, so I may as well try to explain the series of events leading up to my absence and then you may cast your stones (better warm up your shoulder if you want to hit me).

Let's travel all the way back to late June, 2010. Following our last game before the summer break, I fully intended to publish a proper recap of our emphatic victory and then bid all of you adieu indefinitely. I had planned a prolonged vacation in the several weeks leading up to this time and naturally, I wanted to share my itinerary with you you. I was all set to do this, but then a few minor obstacles got in the way, most notably packing for my trip five hours or so before departure.

This should come as no surprise to anybody that really knows me and I just want you all to be aware, it's nothing personal. I take a long time to do certain (most/all) things and usually (most/all of the time), these are accomplished in the face of a rapidly approaching deadline. This generally applies to these entries as well and if I know I don't have enough time to deliver a quality effort, I'll often post-pone (see what I did there?) doing one. I ain't perfeckt and I don't claim to be, so I will admit now that I did run out of time on this particiular occassion and unfortunately, the NTD Community was left out to dry. My condolences to the few of you out there who follow my words, but rest assured, I am just bursting with dynamite material that I am eager to write about.

These will all come very soon, but for now, I do want to share a few highlights from our 51-0 W over the Horsens Stallions. In a highly unconventional turn of events, I'm actually going to lead off with everyone's favorite "Danish American Football Moment." I do so, because in this case, it in fact, took place before each team had finished warming up. Just before our offense got together to run a few plays, a Horsens player approached Tigers QB Matthias Lilhauge and said something to the effect that we should 'mercy rule them early, so they can get home quickly.' It should be noted that at the time, Horsens was winless on the year and they intended to remain so, if their players had anything to do with it. Unfortunately, it took us until early in the fourth quarter to reach the required 50 point margin that warrants the mercy rule; perhaps we should have worked a little harder to fulfill their wishes.

The game itself went accordingly though: we won and they didn't. Several Stallions opted for cigarettes on their sidelines instead of water; it seems they were unable to wait until after the game, as they had following our first encounter in April. Seeing this, I couldn't help but think of Washington Sentinels kicker, Nigel 'The Leg' Gruff from The Replacements:


Yep, that's pretty much what it look liked. I can't understand though, why so many of them got winded so quickly? Aside from this, the game was pretty uneventful. We took care of business and summer break has come and gone. We start practices up again on Tuesday. Our next game won't be until next Sunday, but I'm sure the guys are excited to get back out on the field and finish this season off the right way.

That's about all I've got to say for the moment, I don't want to strain myself after such a long time off. Baby steps worked for Bob and they're going to have to work for me, as well. With that, I would like to say it's good to be back and that I have missed joining you on a semi-regular basis. I look forward to sharing all the gory details of my trip with you in the posts to come. For now, this should serve as an appropriate teaser:

1 comment:

  1. Lucy, you still got some 'splainin' to do...

    the public deserves it, the future demands it.

    ReplyDelete