Monday, May 24, 2010

Lazy Monday

Today was some sort of holiday in DK. I had heard about it several weeks ago, but since I don't usually do much on Mondays, I didn't think of it until I walked to the post office and a few grocery stores, only to find them all closed. I then came back to my apartment to wallow in my lack of certain foodstuffs for a few hours. In retrospect, I should have limited my wallowing to a few less hours, as I decided to go to the gym right as they were closing early for, you guessed it, whatever today's holiday was. Taking this as a sign that I should probably begone before somebody dropped a house on me, I returned to my apartment and took a nap before I ate some leftovers from yesterday.

A teammate stopped by later to retrieve a few DVDs I had borrowed and I asked him what exactly the Danish people were celebrating today. His response, "I dunno, something with the Holy Spirit, I guess." Good enough for me. At least I got a good nap out of it.

In this weekend's football action, my U16 team again came up on the short end of our game. However, our progress continues to show on the field as we held the best team we've seen so far to a mere six points for the better part of the first half. The Junior Tigers are learning the game and are becoming better because of it. They have continued to put forth effort and do so with a smile. On the way home, we stopped at McDonald's and I regailed the kids with tales of America's finest fast food burger joint: Five Guys Burgers & Fries. They really seemed to enjoy the concept of a large drink cup and paper bag filled to the brim with fresh cut fries, but who among us could honestly say they don't feel the same? Certainly not I. After this, the kids basically held their own karaoke session on the back of the bus and even got the Ol' Coach up for a song. Needless to say, I gave 'em there money's worth (speaking of which, I don't recall anyone paying...).

That's all for now. Before I go though, I'd like to send some birthday wishes to my good friend and NTD reader, Jessica Savino of Hillsdale, NJ. If anyone out there ever needs some sort of decorative cake for any occasion, look no further than Ms. Savino (my personal favorite was an Iron Maiden-themed creation from our Junior year at Marist, complete with '6-6-6' candles), though I'm pretty sure she takes off from her baking duties on her special day. Happy birthday, Jess; Sonic run on me when I get back. Goodnight to everyone else, be back soon.

2 comments:

  1. Would that we could ship some Five Guys, or a Crave case to you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jacob! It's Ariane! Dave sent me your blog and I'm really excited to read it. Foreign holidays are always a bit confusing. It's also confusing when foreign countries try to celebrate largely American holidays. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete