Friday, September 17, 2010

Travelogue (PAST DUE) Part II

When last we met, I returned to Denmark for a few days to catch my bearings before setting out on the second phase of my adventure. This time however, I would not be flying solo. The planets seemingly aligned to allow for an extended break in longtime friend, David LoVerme's schedule and thus, I had company for the remainder of the month. David is no stranger to traveling and has been at the game for many years now. Before we even started high school, he toured Austrailia. After that he ventured to Europe on several occasions, including a semester studying abroad in Florence during our time in college. Just days before coming over to meet me, Dave was in Costa Rica studying Spanish, though I believe he was more interested in the fruit-hungry monkeys that came on board the boats he and others took out in their spare time. In addition to this already impressive resume, Dave works in the travel business, marketing and selling educational trips to high schools interested in doing such. What better way to spend some vacation time then with some crack, hands-on, field research? As an avid NTD follower, Dave was more than entitled to his very own NTD-inspired pic, taken at the very same location as my own:


As you can see, we did some exploring in Copenhagen, which I was already somewhat familiar with, but not before we spent some time in Aarhus. Most of the time spent in my adoptive hometown was in fact, spent in my apartment, with Dave needing to acclimate to Eurotime. This also did me some good, too, as I was still recovering from my first two weeks of traveling. Sleeping, eating delicious baked goods from my favorite local joint and watching the first two seasons of 'Californication' were the norm during these first few days, though we did manage to get out some.

DENMARK
Aarhus: July 15 - 18
Copenhagen: July 18 - 20

AARHUS: Not much new info to share here, although we did take a trip to the Moesgård Viking museum just outside of the city proper. I am definitely going to devote an entire post to this place very soon, complete with some awesome pictures. While walking around, we also stumbled on something that I didn't even realize existed in all my time here. Pictured below, you will find a work of art, known as the 'Humpback Gunship,' though we gave it the far more awesome title, 'WHALE-I-COPTER.' After a few days of relaxing in town, we packed up and took a train over to Scandinavia's unofficial Capitol.


COPENHAGEN: Much of what I would write in here, I already covered back in April. We saw many of the same sights, though this time we did so in the comfort of a canal tour boat. After that we cruised the streets on bike to save time. Many thanks go out to the lovely Trine Rølle for allowing us to stay in her apartment while she and some guy I know were on their own vacation. Upon returning, the aforementioned guy (Brian) joined Dave and I for a Monday night out on the town. After some delicious Indian cuisine, we had trouble finding an establishment to unwind in. However, just when nothing appeared to be open, we came across Sam's Bar, a notorious karaoke hot spot, making our night complete. Although Brian didn't flex his golden pipes, Dave and I did the heavy lifting and the rest is history. We returned for a good night's sleep and a morning dip in the harbor just behind Trine's apartment before departing for Deutscheland.




So I know I said earlier that I wanted to finish off the rest of the trip today, but I am looking at the hour now and realize that's not going to happen. Though it isn't terribly late, tomorrow will come very soon. Bus leaves at 7:30, a side of the morning I don't typically see too often, except when the library sends me a text message saying that the movies I borrowed are due back in three days -- the future is now. In all seriousness though, I do have to call it quits. Last game of the season tomorrow against those name-stealin' Copenhagen Tomahawks. After a solid practice last night, we are looking to rebound from our less-than-stellar peformance of two weeks ago. Last chance to strap 'em up for a while, better make the most of it. Be back with a recap when I can.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, looking back at these, I forgot how awesome this trip was! Many thanks sir!

    ReplyDelete