Tuesday, September 7, 2010

When it Rains...

It's safe to say that I've done my fair share of griping about the weather patterns here in Denmark and as the title of this post might infer, it appears you're in for some more. However, for almost the last two weeks, it has been reminiscent of a typical New England autumn: crisp air, a steady breeze, blue skies and still enough sun to warrant shorts and t-shirts (for me, at least). It's certainly been the nicest since I've been here. Then why, you might ask, have I titled this post accordingly? Well, when considering this weekend's performance on the gridiron, it only seemed fitting.

We tasted defeat for the first time, at the hands of the Amager Demons, whom we narrowly beat in Week One of the season. In so many words, it was ugly. We played extremely poorly from top to bottom, making many small mistakes that ultimately added up to a sputtering offense, an inconsistent defense and inept special teams. We spotted them two touchdowns before their offense even took the field; the opening kickoff and our first punt were both returned for scores thanks to terrible pursuit angles by members on both units (including yours truly). We would hold them from scoring again until this second half, but we were unable to muster much offense ourselves.

In truth, I didn't see much action on offense, as I played tight end for the game and we went with several sets that did not feature the position on the field. This decision was made jointly by myself and our head coach, as we wanted to see how the OL would perform on their own against a quality opponent. They played okay, but eventually too many inconsistencies compounded and a rhythm never materialized. I focused my efforts more so on special teams, where I myself made several errors. That's about all there is to say on the matter. The officiating was absolute garbage, even by Danish standards. These clowns were pathetic, not that we could do anything about that. We sucked and it's over. No sense dwelling on a lousy performance, as we need to get back on track for our last game of the season. We play next Saturday in Copenhagen against another tough opponent: the Tomahawks. The next few practices have be very crisp to avoid a repeat of this weekend.

In other news, my U16 team is no longer winless. We recorded our first victory by way of forfeit this weekend, even though that's not how we would have liked to earn a W. Our last game is this Saturday in Aalborg.

As far as this week's Danish football 'Moment' goes, I guess it would be that I recorded my first reception ever. In one of the few series that featured me as a tight end, I ran a short spot route underneath their linebackers and hauled in a pass over the middle. It all kind of happened in a blur; I remember making eye contact with our QB over the offensive line and after that, he put the ball on a spot. I just put my hands up to where the ball was and then pulled it close to my chest (thank you very much Nike Magnigrip gloves). After another two yards, I felt a defender or two on my back and that was that. One reception, seven or so yards. The end. It sure was fun though, I can see why receivers always want the pigskin thrown their way.

Better days are ahead. I'll be back to share 'em with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment