Sunday, March 28, 2010

How many Grams to a Hogshead?

Trick question. A hogshead has 238.48 litres. Gotcha. In any case, I do have to be mindful of the metric system when cooking now. Not that I know how much of anything I have to begin with but who's counting?

Well, apparently people who submit recipes online are and they are quite specific about it. Mom, if you're reading this, feel free to ship me large quantities of premade meals. And some iced tea.

In any case, I cooked something tonight that was actually edible when all was said and done. Using an online recipe and a metric conversion table, I attempted to make a chicken meatloaf, using approximately one quarter of the required ingredients. The following is a comparison between what was in the recipe (lefthand column) and what I had at my disposal (righthand column):

  • 2 lbs ground chicken = about 450 grams sliced chicken fillets
  • 1 egg = 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese = N/A
  • 1-1/2 tsp garlic powder = a dash of granulated onion
  • 1/4 cup dried chopped onion = another dash of granulated onion
  • 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs = 1.5 slices of old Danish rye bread
  • 1/2 cup ketchup = N/A (not that I would use it anyway)
  • 1/4 cup honey (or brown sugar) = N/A
To "grind" the chicken, I cut the fillets into small pieces and massage them into consistency that was somewhere between "ground" and "nowhere near ground." After that, I added the rest of the ingredients, mixed it up and formed it into a giant patty in a circular dish. Forty minutes at 177 degrees Celsius later, I had this:


It looks slightly more appetizing in this shot, next to some veggies and slices of the same old bread that I smashed up with my fingers to make the "Italian" bread crumbs:


Overall, not too bad. B- for taste (pretty excellent when factoring in my ingredient selection), D for appearance, but most importantly, A for effort.

In other (not food) news, the apartment is about 85% Ikea now and looks pretty good. I will try very hard to get some shots up soon. As far as the Tigers go, I have coached three practices (two Senior, one Youth) and also had an in-depth film session with the older guys. Early on, things have gone very well; good to be back doing that. Bed time now (we had Daylight Savings today, so we're back to EST + 6 hours). I'll be back before you can say something that takes about twenty-three hours to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment