Friday, March 26, 2010

Shøpping Spree

Today, Peter and I finished picking up a lot of miscellaneous things for the apartment at Ikea. Item of the day has to be a sky blue fleece blanket with little cloudlike prints on it. You'd be surprised at the lack of traditional blankets found at the Swedish home furnishing powerhouse; or perhaps not, if you understood how the Danes sleep. First off, you have the bed sheet; pretty standard stuff there. Then, as opposed to nothing, you have a douvet cover, folded up underneath you to provide an extra layer of cushioning. This is a bit more luxurious than my usually choice of a beach towel thrown over a mattress, with or without a sheet on it (seriously).

As far as a cover is concerned, less is more in my book and thus, I sought a simple solution in a blanket. Something in flannel would have been nice, but fleece is always an acceptable alternative. Peter pointed out the aforementioned powder blue "blankie," in lieu of well, nothing else really. Worked for me; I've always had a thing for blue. On the way out, some guy tried to sell me something, I think.

We then went to Silvan, which is essentially a Danish Home Depot, minus the one aisle that always has a leak in the ceiling and the faint smell of anyone's Grandpa's garage. One thing, among thousands of others, Silvan does share with it's American equivalent is the sausage vender awaiting customers near the store's entrance. Peter and I both had the taste, one might say, after we finished shopping there and I was then introduced to a Danish Hot Dog.

In some circles, this delicious treat is known as a "HapsDog" (translated loosely as "Yum Yum Dog") and I must say, as with most of the cuisine I've experience since I've been here, the name sure fits. The dog itself is a bit longer and contains none of the filler that you'd find in an American Frank; it was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside and had a delightful spice to it. To top it off, add spicy brown mustard, onions (raw AND fried), pickles and serve it with a Cocio (pronounced COCK-yo), Denmark's favorite chocolate milk. I'm getting hungry again, better wrap this up. Maybe I'll get to some more apartment pics this weekend. Until then, hej hej ("hi hi," equivalent to "bye bye" in English).

No comments:

Post a Comment