Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"It might be feasible in a Fortnight."

The term "fortnight," better known as fourteen days, is one that is actually used quite commonly here. I'm using it here because today marks two weeks since I've come to Denmark. Hardly feels like it, but today seemed to make up for the very easy time I've had thus far.

For starters, I rolled out of bed an hour after my alarm went off for the second consecutive day. Ordinarily, I wouldn't complain but if it's starting to become a regular habit, I need to do something about it. I definitely am not eating quite as well as I would like, but I'm still adjusting to a work week and getting from place to place on my own (see below). As the days go by, I'll be able to manage lugging groceries from Netto (the market I'll be using) on my bike (see below).

After I got going, I left the apartment for Fitness.dk, the gym I'm using here and shortly thereafter realized I left my small gymsack inside. No biggie, I thought. I'd just go work out and worry about it after. That would have been fine if my gym membership card wasn't inside my wallet, inside my gymsack, inside my apartment. Right next to my apartment keys. I then proceeded to loiter outside the door to my building, waiting for someone to come out and tell me if the place has a super who I could call (with the phone that was also in my gymsack).

Fortunately, a very nice young lady, who I held a door for the other day, came out with her little girl for their morning stroll. She let me in and informed me that there was no super but promptly dialed another number, which I can only assume was the City Office of Locked-Out Americans. Ultimately, she was rerouted to some sort of Danish 411, where I had her connect to the Team Chairman, who has the other set of keys. He soon came by and rescued me from imminent doom.

After the gym, I returned home to finish what little food I have before I go shopping tomorrow and prepared for two practices a little later. I did so and left ample time to get to the field. Just so everyone's caught up: we are practicing at our OLD game field, which is now our practice field. Our NEW game field is in the same direction, however down a different road from the same intersection that one would take to get to our OLD game field, which is now our practice field. I think. In any case, I knew where I was going (sort of) and since I'm now left to my own devices to get around now (see below), I biked down the road that I thought looked more familiar. This ended taking me to the NEW game field or not the one I wanted to go to. I then took a "shortcut" to get to the OLD game field because that was the most logical thing to do at the time and what anyone of YOU would have done, had you found yourself off course in a foreign country. I was now enjoying a scenic tour of the city suburbs and not getting any closer to the field (in retrospect, I should have just backtracked to the intersection). Oh yeah, it also starting pouring rain around this time.

Fifteen minutes after our U16 and U19 practice began, I arrived, probably looking haggard as all hell. Nonetheless, I laced up my cleats and never missed a beat. I can't help but think the kiddies weren't a little impressed with the Coach in that respect. We had a great practice, as did the Seniors after them. This was most certainly the highlight of the day. To avoid this good feeling from setting in too long, I felt I needed to do something quickly. So, on the way out of the new practice field (our old game field, in case you haven't gotten it by now), I managed to get a flat tire on my chief means of conveyance. Mission accomplished: brief moment of happiness averted. I'd just like to point out that only on the walk home did I take time to reflect on the not nice things that happened today. That fact that I didn't realize I wasn't having the greatest day until about 8:30 pm makes me feel pretty good about things right now. Tomorrow will be better. Maybe I'll stop and think about it at some point.

3 comments:

  1. Flats tend to come at the most FU moments...I got one in Florence at 4:30 in the morning after stumbling out of the bar where I watched the travesty that was the Pats losing to the Giants in the superbowl a couple years back.

    Flat aside though, I think you'll find its very refreshing to get around primarily on bicycle.

    Also this makes you do one of those word verifications before posting...this time the word is DICUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely day to me -- if you are a masochist ... Fear not, Mr. Baby - this will make you stronger ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'I got one in Florence...' ooooohh look at me, i'm SOOO cultured. (yes I just used your blog as a platform for making fun of Dave). Whatever the cause for a bad day, just remember this... YOU ARE IN DENMARK. You are LIVING THE DREAM. Hope today was a bit better. You'll find your rhythm, just keep slappin the ol' bass.

    ReplyDelete