Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Showers bring ... more Showers?

Since I've been in DK, I think there have been a total of three days without some sort of precipitation. Funny, because the same thing was going Stateside when I left. The difference there, I suppose, is that us New Hampshirites experienced an extremely mild winter by our standards, whereas the Danes had their worst winter in fifty years. In any case, I look forward to more suitable conditions as we continue to work outside in preparation for our first game in two weeks. May Odin smile upon the fields with his drying gaze.

Before I move on though, I would like to clarify a few things from my last post. The aim of that entry was not to whine and complain about having a lousy day. I thought it was actually a rather uplifting one because I really did not give two thoughts as to how crappy the day may or may not have been until I was walking my bruised bike home that night. For insinuating anything other than that intended meaning, I apologize. Having said that, I hope to avoid paying 145 Kroner to replace tube and fix a flat whenever possible (even though the Tigers are footing the bill).

Easter is approaching fast and for being a place that is (admittedly) not religious, people here sure do love this holiday weekend. Though there doesn't seem to be quite as much hooplah surrounding giant rabbits, chocolate eggs and Starburst Jellybeans (which DO NOT exist here), there is a strong sense of family togetherness. Just to clarify, that's actually code for closing shops and businesses early and indulging in delicious food and drink (mostly drink, I'm told). Either way, one can't argue with tradition and I look forward to sharing Danish Easter with some fellow Tiger Bretheren this weekend.

On a related note, I think there's also a bit of irony involved with my being here this weekend. A pleasant suprise growing up was that I always used to find a small Lego set in my Easter basket each year (up until I grew out of them last year). In conjunction with my mother's eclairs, this always made Easter one of my favorite times of the year. Today now as some sort of an adult, I know find myself preparing to celebrate one of the Dane's favorite holidays with them, in the proverbial Mecca of all things Lego (betcha didn't know those little blocks were a Danish creation, did ya?). And yes, you bet. I will be going to the Legoland theme park sometime while I'm here.

Until I post next (maybe with apartment pics?), I bid you adieu. Everyone in the US and A, please savor those Startburst Jellybeans just a little bit more than usual this year for the Ol' Danish Ball Coach.

2 comments:

  1. please go to legoland! and take lots of pics! it's not too far away from you is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes hurry to Legoland, I'm looking forward to seeing the pics!

    ReplyDelete