Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Two Down ...

After a very busy day, it's rather late here but I thought I could do a quick post about this past weekend's games. I was involved in two contests on Sunday; the first being my first as U16 Head Coach and the second, our Senior team's second game of the year.

The U16 game was played down in Vejle (VAI-lee), against the Triangle Razorbacks. Prior to negotiating with Aarhus, I actually was in talks with members of the Razors. Coincidentally, I also have them to thank for setting me up with Peter and the Tigers when they informed me they could not use my serivces this year. They have a one of the strongest Clubs in Denmark and I thought it was kind of neat visiting yet another place I had researched before coming over. The biggest draw in town: a GumLink chewing gum factory. Sadly though, the sign outside did not feature a giant mechanical set of teeth chomping away. I'm considering writing their management.

My debut as head coach did not end as I would have liked, however our play did improve from our last outing at the Viborg Camp two weeks earlier. The kids continue to work hard and I'm confident wins will come for them as they still learn the nuances of the game.

Looking to avoid disappointment twice in one day, I quickly dismissed the morning's performance as Peter and I headed about a half-hour North for a three o'clock tilt against the Stallions of Horsens. During the week leading up to this one, I soon learned there was no love lost in this rivalry. I suppose that makes sense: Tigers and Stallions are natural enemies out in the wild, are they not? From what I gathered, it was historically a tough, hard-fought game for both sides, yet in the end, the Tiger boys usually come out victorious. That being said, a win for the Stallions always means much more than your a-ver-age W.

When we got to Horsens (which, despite what the name suggests, was not overrun with wild, untamed equine galloping about), I could already sense a very tense environment. As our guys warmed up, I couldn't help glance across the field to watch our opponents studying what they saw, as though they were preparing for an exam of sorts. They then begin their own warm up, running along our sideline. I stood with my back to them, not caring much to be disturbed while still looking for all the real horses.

The game started off pretty sluggish for both sides: our offense stymied by ourselves, their offense by our swarming D. After some momentum got going, the half came to a very anti-climactic halt knotted at zero - zero. During halftime, we didn't make any adjustments of consequence but once again realized, just as we did the week before, that our intensity and "compete level" (C. Julien, 2009) needed to rise significantly to get out of our rut. This happened on the initial drive of the second half.

Following a another stellar defensive series that got us the ball rather quickly, our O went to work and moved at a much higher tempo. Although we came away with no points again, thanks to a few mistakes late in the drive, we certainly established a new pace to the game; one their defense did not respond particularly well to. The next time we got the ball, this time with excellent field position, courtesy of a defensive takeaway, the Tigers O drew first blood with QB Mathias Lilhauge finding WR Morten Sehested on an out in the endzone for six. A missed extra point kept things where they were, us leading 6 - 0.

This would change early in the fourth, as LB Stefan Meyer blocked a punt and took it the house from about midfield. A two-point conversion gave us a two TD advantage, now up 14 - 0. As the D continued to dominate, the offense also moved downfield methodically, tacking on another score midway through the final frame. For the second week in a row, Lilhauge called his own number in the redzone and hit paydirt. That would round out the scoring, putting us ahead 21 - 0. The defense shut down any late hopes of a Stallion rally and preserved the shutout. A very satisfying win, considering the history in this series. I look forward to playing against them later in the season.

During the handshake at the fifty to close things out, I experienced my second "Welcome to Danish American Football Moment" (the first you remember, being the pregame proposal). The last man in their line, a defensive lineman who was constantly winded throughout the game, made his way through, sans shoulderpads and helmet, with a cool, refreshing cigarette pursed between his lips. Indeed, a bastion of peak physical fitness; very entertaining.

We have a few weeks until our next matchup on May 15th, which I have circled as my return. In preparation for this, I will continue to train and ramp up my activity during our practice sessions. That itch is gettin' stronger. Seriously, I think I need to see a doctor.

More fun things to follow tomorrow. I'm glad to be back on the air with you all. Before signing off for the night (well, early morning here), I'd like to send some birthday wishes to my (sort-of) cousin Holly up in Rochester, NY. Holly is an avid NTD reader and we have had the pleasure of staying in touch over the past few months thanks to those internets. Hope you enjoyed your day, Holly. Try not to startle anymore labmates while reading this; I don't need to be tied to lawsuits.

Take care, all. Be back soon.

1 comment:

  1. For safety reasons, I only read when I'm alone. [This makes driving in unfamiliar places with others in the car rather exciting, but life's an adventure, right?]

    Wishes have been received in Rochester. You (or your i-something, or Facebook) have a good memory. Many thanks. Highlight of the day was a run and some good Indian food - a few bites of which I had in your honor (although I have no clue about your feelings on Indian food, I doubt it's all that available in Denmark).

    Congrats on the win this past weekend. Be well & stay safe.

    ReplyDelete