Thursday, April 29, 2010

BWI

Strange things happening around here. For starters, I think the weather in Aarhus was nicer today than it was back home in Merrimack. With temps in the low twenties (mid-sixties for all us not familiar with things Centigrade), the sun shining and trees starting to bloom, everybody and everything around here is really beginning to embrace the changing seasons. It's light out until nine o'clock most nights and I find myself opening more windows to keep the apartment aired out (even when I don't have laundry to do). Excitement amongst the student population is also setting in, fast and furious.

The Aarhus University has about 40,000 students. Since I've been here, I think I may have seen five of them. Today, I must have seen or heard the other 39,995 of them taking advantage of the lovely day. Before settling down for tonight's NTD installment, I took a stroll to Kiwi to get some milk (one litre or thirty-three ounces lasts for a surprisingly short time in my fridge) and on the way, I noticed many goings-on in the surrounding apartments and establishments. Aside from one gathering of about ten guys sitting around listening to Billy Joel, the streets were reverberating with energy after what was probably a pretty exciting day for one special reason.

Today marked the annual "Kapsejladsen," held at the end of April or beginning of May each year at the lake on the University's central green. The name of the event basically translates to "Regatta," yet the usual pomp and circumstance associated with rowing seems to have lost its way somewhere along the line here in town. A few of the guys on the team who attend school there told me about it in advance and opted to go there today, instead of our practice session. Based on their description, I can't say I would have done otherwise had I been in their shoes. I even thought about going over for a little before practice today with some of them, but I had some things to prepare for both U16 and Senior Training tonight (plus I did some running around myself tonight, still feelin' good). Here is a link to the Google Translated version of the event's website:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da&u=http://www.kapsejladsen.dk/&ei=9fPZS7OgAsOoOLX00ccP&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBEQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dkapsejladsen%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff

In brief, this is how it was explained to me: It's a boat race where teams construct boats out of materials not usually used for boat-making. The teams get good and sauced before boating and are announced in front of all in attendance. The spectators (about 15,000 of them) get good and sauced before boating. The race happens (saucing continues). The race ends (saucing ... you get the picture). Festivities ensue and go long into the night, hence all the hooplah amongst the locale surrounding me.

In the interest of doing fun and different things while I'm here, this would have certainly qualified as both. However, the job description never said anything about allowances for quasi-boat festivals. I don't think I could have faked a sick day, either. No regrets though. Had a great practice with my U16 guys preparing for another game this weekend. It was also nice to get the helmet on the first time and do a little bit more with the Seniors. I had to send the shoulderpads we ordered for me back for a size change, but the new ones will be here shortly. Pretty anxious to throw those on again.

I will be back tomorrow with some more exciting posts, perhaps including two that I've been holding on to for a few days now. Many cool things on the horizon for NTD, although I suppose that will be up to you to decide. Just keep reading. For now though, I leave you with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5imonPJyVw

Quarterback/Tight End, hat enthusiast, amateur filmmaker, college housemate, NTD reader and most importantly, good friend, Jack Scanlon of OWEGO, NEW YORK (don't even think of putting an 's' in there) has released the trailer for his videologue of a 2009 post-graduation cross-country excursion. Check it out and behold a few snippets of Americana that The Cowboy was able to capture with his trusty MiniDV camera. Some cool footage here, I'll be excited to see the rest. Always wanted to make that Documentary, eh, Jackie Boy? Looks like you're off to a good start.

Goodnight, all; stop by again real soon.

2 comments:

  1. Just when I thought they were all out of time-lapse footage..


    BAM!


    More time-lapse footage!

    Give 'em what they came here to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Cedric Benson is now very interested in signing with the Tigers and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

    ReplyDelete