Sunday, April 11, 2010

"The American and the Toaster."

I lied, I'm back early. This was supposed to be a surprise because I've known it was coming for a few days now. I figured I'd stretch it maybe until tomorrow but eh, why bother? This was the spread on pages 20-21 today's Morgenavisen Jyllands-Posten, Denmark's national newspaper:


Early last week, some of the guys set up an interview with a reporter from this particular publication (the largest newspaper in DK, famous for printing the controversial cartoon featuring the Islamic Prophet, Muhammad, several years back). I must say things went quickly after that because a photographer came by the same day and snapped some pics, which you can see a few of if you Google "JP Aarhus" and my name. Two days later, I conducted the interview with a delightful young chap that was less a formal Q & A and more a two-hour monologue about American college football, European travel plans, soccer in Aarhus, Volkswagens, John Grisham and above all else, my take on Danish toasters (hence the title). Not exactly what I would have focused on, but it's still cool to be recognized and bring some press to both the Tigers and the sport.

I'm not totally sure what the article says, as I'm still waiting for somebody to read it to me, but for being my first experience with the European media, I'd say it was pretty fun. Thanks to reporter Lars Sejr (and his Seahwaks, for some reason) for spending some time with me and hopefully writing some cool stuff. I'm interested to find out.

1 comment:

  1. Jake - you seriously crack me up. It's dangerous to sit here reading this at work, for that very reason... It's immediately obvious to my labmates that I'm not working, 'cause science really just isn't all that funny.

    The good humor you bring to all crazy situations experienced by an American in a foreign country is, simply put, both hilarious & accessible.

    Thanks for keeping me laughing, congrats on an (apparently, but not definitely) nice write-up in the paper, and keep on keepin' on. I'll send some virtual s'mores.

    ReplyDelete