Monday, April 12, 2010

Taco Night!

Just as I'm sure many of you imagined, nothing screams Denmark like a traditional taco dinner. Brian and I went to Fitness.dk a little on the late side today and when we finished up we decided to go back to my place for a grande Fiesta. About two weeks ago, I realized I hadn't had Taco Bell in about five years (okay, a little over a month) and was in the mood for something of the like to fill that beefy and cheesy void. With that, I bought a packet of taco seasoning for about four US dollars and some tortillas for about eight US dollars. I made some very rudimentary chicken fajitas and loved every last blackened bit of them.

Well tonight, I'd figured we would finish up what was left of that stuff. Upon taking inventory of our available fixin's, it soon became apparent that we needed more supplies. So, while I started working on chopping some veggies and preparing the kitchen, Brian ran to Kiwi (kind of a Danish Kwiky Mart, that also doubles as a grocery store ... surprisingly reasonably priced for most things) and picked up a few things.

When he returned, we readied the feast and soon, were enjoying delicious tacos. The Danes and judging by all the languages on the box of our 'Tex Mex Taco Kit,' most of Scandinavians, really like their tacos. Tex-Mex stuff is pretty popular here; one such dish is Chili con Carne (sort of a mildly spiced Danish 'sloppy joe,' without all the grossness associated with the American version). I will say though that the hard shells and flour tortillas here are good for maybe three or four bites and then you're on to the next one. They also have stuff known as 'taco sauce,' which is pretty much just chunky salsa that I guess you're supposed to make tacos out of.

Brian also bought a small bottle of Tabasco Sauce; a gesture much appreciated. To go with our meal, we enjoyed some ice-cold Danish Coca-Cola, the first soda I've had since my first Faxe Kondi. It was pretty excellent. All the legends about European soda are indeed true; they taste far, far better than American soft drinks, as they are made with real sugar. Very nice. Taco withdrawal averted. Next on the list of Yum! Brands: KFC. The only one in DK is in Copenhagen. Guess where we're playing this week?

1 comment:

  1. http://www.theawl.com/2010/04/the-definitive-kfc-double-down-review

    Probably going to take the plunge in the next few days; hopefully my experience varies from the one this author had.

    ReplyDelete